Public shelters should be considered “shelters of last resort” with very basic provisions for a safe, dry environment, and limited meal capabilities. Residents are encouraged to bring the following items for yourself and each of your family members. Be sure to bring medications and food for special dietary needs. Pet owners should also bring pet food and vaccination records.
- Sleeping bag, bedroll, or sheets and blankets and pillows.
- Prescription medications in their original bottle.
- Specials items and food that infants and elderly household members may require.
- Extra clothing, hygiene supplies, and other comfort items.
- Personal identification, cash, checkbook, and credit cards.
- Snacks or comfort foods or any special dietary foods (prepackaged foods only)
- Time occupiers: books, magazines, games, or cards.
- If bringing a pet to a shelter, please bring their vaccination records, including rabies information.
Items that are strictly prohibited include:
- Alcohol/illegal drugs
Other items you should consider:
- Social Security card
- Proof of residence
- Insurance policies and contact telephone numbers for your insurance company
- Birth and marriage certificates
- Stocks, bonds, and other negotiable certificates
- Wills, deeds, and copies of recent tax returns
Who to call?
Public Information Hotline
UNCW Emergency Info
CFCC Emergency Info
Donations Call Center